Sunday, October 4, 2009

Banana Bundt Cake and an Inaugural Post!

So here it is, the first post! Here we have another amateur food blog to further fill the internet with pictures of my baking, cooking, and probably knitting, as well as my rambling thoughts. So welcome to Needle in a Haystack, a blog which as I've said will combine my favourite things and give me a place to put them all.

I thought about starting off by posting some of my favourite baked goodies and knitted projects, things I'm proud of and that would give a good sense of who I am. Instead I decided that the first post should be a fresh project, something to inaugurate this little cyber-nook of mine. The archives can wait for another day. So I present you with today's indulgence, a banana bundt cake with chocolate glaze and walnut topping!



It's my mom's recipe for banana muffins which I just baked in my silicone bundt pan and topped with some chocolatey goodness. It's pretty basic, but here you go!

Banana Muffins/Bread/Cake

3 overripe bananas, mashed
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
3 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour

1. Combine bananas, sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl combine sour cream and baking soda, let rest until it has "plumped."
3. Add leavened sour cream to wet ingredients.
4. Mix in flour until just combined.
5. Bake at 375°F until outside is golden brown and inside is cooked through (toothpick comes out clean). This tends to vary, but I found that with the muffins it's about 20 minutes and the cake took about 45.

The glaze is just 1 cup of chocolate chips and about 4 tbsp of butter melted in the microwave with a splash of vanilla, and then poured over the cake. Then I added walnuts because I had them on hand, and they looked pretty. Et voila, banana bundt cake. Yummy, can't wait to share it!

1 comment:

  1. sound yummy will come back and try it another day....

    ReplyDelete